The New Year is fast approaching, and everyone is looking forward to the end of one of the most difficult years in history. 2020 has been a trying time for everyone, but with the close of the year now upon us, it’s time to look forward and plan for the future. It’s the time for resolutions and fresh goals to start the year off on the right foot.
Believe it or not, making New Year’s resolutions is a 4,000-year-old tradition, although the new year wasn’t always celebrated in January. The ancient Babylonians held celebrations in mid-March, when planting season was beginning but were much grander than our one evening party. They threw a 12-day long festival where they promised to pay debts, reaffirmed their loyalty to the king, and returned borrowed objects. They believed that if they kept their word, the gods would give them a blessed year, but they would fall out of favor if they failed to do so.
There are so many types of resolutions that you could make; exercise more, travel somewhere new, learn a second language, learn how to cook something exotic… the list goes on and on. January is the month of new beginnings as we all head optimistically into 2021. Here are our top 10 resolutions for 2021:
- Eat Healthier – incorporate more locally sourced, organic, and healthier options in our breakfast menu
- Excercise More – offer our guests plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy such as longer walks around town, biking, hiking, and yoga at the beach.
- Learn something new – offer guest classes that they can take at the Inn – such as baking classes and art classes
- Read More – our extensive book library is open to guests 24/7 and there is always something for everyone. Check out the local authors!
- Spend more time traveling – there is no better place to be in 2021 than The Old Harbor Inn. Book your stay today and take advantage of our great off-season promotions.
- Be present – take a trip to Chatham with your loved one and escape from it all! Unplug your laptop, turn off your phone, and just relax!
- Reduce stress – taking a vacation in 2021 is sure to reduce stress and boost happiness
- Make time for self-care – make it a routine to take a bath, meditate, apply a mask, get your nails done. Do something fun that will make you happy!
- Clean out your closet – take some time this year to go through your belongings and declutter your life.
- Do a little act of kindness when you can – a little kindness goes a long way
Here in Chatham, we will be missing our annual First Night celebration, but are busy making plans for our upcoming season. We are still finding fun places to explore all around the Cape that we can share with you and intend to do just that!
In Ireland, they have a New Year tradition that shortly after midnight, people open their front door to let the old year out and welcome the New Year. This year it might be appropriate to open all doors and windows!
However, you welcome the New Year, resolve to keep safe, be well, and be kind to yourself and others. Happy 2021!